Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Goldjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2014
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    31A horn, 730C, 27a

    Hi All,

    I just got this horn. Unfortunately I only have the one. I understand some folks enjoy listening to these. I'll be honest, I just got it out of curiosity as I'm a bit of a JBL fan and like tinkering and because it's a beautiful thing. Looking for any recommendations on how to hook it up and possibly build a mono setup.

    I've owned several JBL's over the years but my experience with Altec gear is pretty limited . I did just get back from Japan where I listened to an A7 and a 604 8g (in an 620A) cabinet as well as a Urei 811c ,,,all of which I enjoyed a lot.


    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    31A horn, 730C, 27a


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    The 730C is pretty much mid only. I think it dies above 5 kHz. So you'll need a tweet.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    HB Super Moderator
    31A horn, 730C, 27a


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    Yes as OG said it (730C) was only designed for vocals/PA. They are not meant for HiFi/music. The horn and attachment are Saweet.. If you can find another you would have a very expensive pair of horns.. $2500-$3000. However it seems prices have been plunging a bit lately. YMMV.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member Goldjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2014
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Yes as OG said it (730C) was only designed for vocals/PA. They are not meant for HiFi/music. The horn and attachment are Saweet.. If you can find another you would have a very expensive pair of horns.. $2500-$3000. However it seems prices have been plunging a bit lately. YMMV.
    Cheers for the reply. Just the one unfortunately. What would be a good driver to match up with the horn and throat? Thanks.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    31A horn, 730C, 27a


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    An 802 or a 902.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    31A horn, 730C, 27a


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    The 31A is 2inch throat. The 27 A is one-to-two inch. Designed for the 594 WE. Altec did 594B and C but you will never find one. Kinda with AB, my vote would be 802 as it will go lower and that is a big horn. I would assume a 1.4 to 2 inch would put a 288 on it.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Junior Hostboard Member Goldjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2014
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    The 31A is 2inch throat. The 27 A is one-to-two inch. Designed for the 594 WE. Altec did 594B and C but you will never find one. Kinda with AB, my vote would be 802 as it will go lower and that is a big horn. I would assume a 1.4 to 2 inch would put a 288 on it.
    Yeah looks like I can get a 902-8B or 802-8D's seem to be prevalent.

    I see the hole patterns wont match up with the 27A, I suppose I can just make an adaptor plate? So bolt the driver to the plate and the 27a A to the plate both using screws less then the plate thickness, into tapped holes in the plate?

    I see both drivers go from 500Hz up to around 20K. Will this horn behave itself and sound good all the way up that high?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    31A horn, 730C, 27a


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    The 802 originally was a 3 bolt driver. When Altec switched to 2 piece horns, a two bolt pattern worked better. The 730 continued on as 3 bolt. After leaving Altec, James Lansing continued to use the 3 bolt for JBL designs.

    4
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #9
    Junior Hostboard Member Goldjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2014
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 31A horn, 730C, 27a

    Thought this was interesting...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.